At Seamill Hydro we understand our place as one of the area’s biggest employers and the responsibilities that come with it. We also identify our idyllic setting on the coast in the small village of Seamill as one of the most important features to our business. With these facts in mind we have decided to create the Seamill Hydro Community Charter, a unique commitment to put our local community and environment at the centre of our strategic decision making policy.
At the heart of our Community Charter is a number of commitments which we hope will ensure that our local community is considered and consulted about major developments in the way in which we work and that our local environment is protected for this and future generations.
Seamill Hydro Community Charter Commitments
• We will form a Seamill Hydro Community Committee made up of representatives of the local community and the management of the hotel
• We will host a meeting of the committee on no fewer than 2 occasions each year
• We will inform our neighbours of any substantial change to our operating plan and allow a consultation period before changes are made
• We will consider and minimise as much as possible the impact of our business on local residents
• We will support the local tourism industry particularly the voluntary sector
• We will lead the development of the marketing of the local tourist attractions
• We will support initiatives to improve or protect the local environment
• We will support the work of local charities and community initiatives
• We will provide training and development opportunities to our employees and recruit locally and promote from within where the necessary skills exist.
• We will continue to strive to develop the business to secure the jobs of our existing employees and develop new employment opportunities
• We will continue to invest in our historic hotel and ensure developments are sensitive to the heritage of the hotel and area
• We will source produce, equipment and services locally as much as possible
• We will continue our commitment to the Green Tourism Business Scheme
These broad commitments form the core of the Seamill Hydro Community Charter, but it is our actions rather than commitments which must be seen to be having a positive effect in our community.
Some of what we have done
Worked with the local schools to create our kids menus
HydroSpa annual family fun day with all funds going to the Ayrshire Hospice
Helped the local brownies learn new skills and gain new badges
Sponsor holes at one of the local golf clubs
Hosted a charity Zumba Party Night
Won a silver award for Green Tourism
Supported the local golf clubs charity open day
Support the Cancer Research UK fashion show in Rothesay
HydroSpa Team have a wear it pink day and Race for Life each year to support Cancer Research UK
Yorkhill Hospital Swimathon organised by HydroSpa team