The History of Seamill Hydro
The Sanatorium, Seamill was founded in 1879 and this represents the first part of the present Seamill Hydro building.
During the work of building the gateway, 14 human skeletons were uncovered in roughly made stone kists, probably dating from early Christian times (400 – 700).
St. Brigid, the patron saint of West Kilbride is thought to have landed in this area when she arrived from Ireland carrying the Christian message to the then Pagan Scotland.
The Sanatorium provided various types of ‘baths’ made from the Hydro’s own spring which can still be seen today in the form of a well. The ‘baths’ provided relief from Sciatica, Rheumatism and Lumbago and could be likened to a modern day health spa. The Swimming pool was filled with seawater and nurses attended to guests.